Presented annually to benefit the further education of an individual whose strong character and high family values emulate those of Mary Alice.
This scholarship has been established to recognize Mary Alice Downey, mother of Eileen Horgan, and long-time supporter of the yacht club. Mary Alice’s family was involved with the founding of the club in 1914. Throughout her life she was involved with the club, as her daughter and family became active members. Mary Alice was known for her wonderful sense of humor and strong family values, an inspiration to all she knew.
Each year the scholarship will be presented in the name of the individual who best exemplifies the strong character and warm personality of Mary Alice.
Applicants for the scholarship must be directly related to an active full, associate, or social member. The scholarship is administered by the POPYC Mary Alice Downey Committee. The scholarship is funded through tax-deductible donations.
- Applicants must be accepted to or currently attending a four year college or university, a community college, or a post-secondary technical school.
- Applicants must be a relative of a full, associate, or social member of the Point of Pines Yacht Club.
2017 Scholarship Info
- We will present a single scholarship of $1000.
- Applications must be received or postmarked no later than May 15.
- The scholarship will be awarded at the club’s Blessing of the Fleet in July.
You can download an application at the link below.
Download Scholarship Application (Word file)
If you have questions, please contact Charlie MacClaughlin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617.842.8939.